Thursday, March 10, 2011

New Year, New Look

Hey, Music Lovers!

It's been FOREVER since I updated but I've been busy with my final year of college, turning twenty-one, being social, planning my future (ha, what a joke!) and devoting time to other kinds of writing (mainly novels.) So excuse my nearly-year-long hiatus and let's pretend that I'm back online to stay. (Don't bet on it, though.) And also, can I just have a quick round of applause for the new layout? Just kidding. I had to design a blog for my computer class and I learned some new stuff I wasn't aware of when I originally made this blog, so I figure I'd update it a bit.

Anyway, even though I've been MIA, the music world has kept on spinning. Don't think I haven't been listening, though! I want to take a look at all the crazy fabulous music coming on the scene right now - starting with the one and only Lady Gaga and her latest single "Born This Way." If you haven't seen the cinematic, futuristic, attention-grabbing (or attention-seeking, as some critics would say) music video for the single, you can find it here. As all Gaga fans probably already know, her new album Born This Way drops on May 23, 2011. (It's been marked on my calendar since she announced it on New Year's Eve.)

A lot of people were strongly against Gaga's new song because it was too Madonna-esque. (Well, duh, guys, I mean every critic has compared the two of them in every way imaginable!) But just getting this out there right now: GAGA IS NOT MADONNA!!! Yeah, okay, they both love to shock their fans and critics alike; they have a flair for fashion and performance, and their music is basically in the same pop genre. But Gaga is her own person, a unique artist who knows her way around the music industry, and I admire her determination and dedication because she's not here to sell out, be famous, and make a billion bucks. She's here to please her fans and make a statement. And with "Born This Way," that statement is just a repeat of what everyone else has been telling you since you were in kindergarten: be true to yourself, be who you are, and love yourself. (But maybe, since it's Gaga saying it this time, people will actually listen. I wouldn't be surprised.) Gaga sings, "God makes no mistakes, I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way," to a catchy synth-pop track. And maybe the lyrics are a little cheesy, but so what? Of all people, Lady G can afford to take the risk of being corny, because she's sending an admirable message.

I'll admit, when I first read the leaked lyrics of this song, I was dubious at best. It seemed like the same-old, same-old story about how everyone's a unique snowflake or whatever, and a blatant statement of Gaga's campaign for equality (which, by the way, I fully support.) And yeah, I can also admit that the song is a little cheesy, but I came to love it because it's clear from listening mulitple times, seeing a bunch of performances on live TV, and watching the music video that this is an important message to Gaga herself. It's plain to me that she wants her fans to feel the same freedom she does, to indulge in who they are and enjoy themselves. No matter what stunning mask, insane heels, or flashy outfit she's wearing, Lady Gaga seems to enjoy herself at all times - and hell yeah, I wanna feel that way, too!

So yes, maybe it's corny as hell, and maybe it's all been said and done before, but just remember: everyone was born a certain way for a reason, everything happens for a reason, and even if we all look different, we're really the same at heart. People tend to dismiss that sort of stuff as being too sentimental and idealistic, but it's true. We're just so busy complaining and being prejudiced against those who are different that we tend to overlook the obvious: we're all people, and we all feel the same things, more or less.

So if you haven't already checked out "Born This Way," get on that!

More to come soon! (I hope, if I don't forget the blog again!)
Emily Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment