Monday, September 28, 2009

"Get Happy" About Bowling For Soup

I’ve held back on today’s topic for about a month now, but today I discovered that Bowling For Soup’s new album Sorry For Partyin’ is coming out in about two weeks (October 13) so in honor of that, I’m writing about them, their latest EP My Wena, and the newest single (released Sept. 22) called “No Hablo Ingles.”

Bowling For Soup definitely makes my list of all-time top-five favorite bands, hands down. They probably come in at about 3rd place, after Relient K, but it’s a close call. This summer I read on their bio that they worked out mathematically the sad-to-happy ratio of lyrics in their songs, so that for every sad lyric they have so many more happy ones. I think that’s really clever (and it’s no wonder that lead singer Jaret Reddick has two college degrees and is such a phenomenal singer and songwriter) and I could not think of a happier, peppier, more life-loving band. Bowling For Soup’s songs are antidepressants, no exaggeration.

The My Wena EP came out August 7, 2009, and I got it not long after its release date. Normally I don’t buy EPs, or much care about them, but BFS is an exception. My favorite song on the EP is “I’ll Always Remember You (That Way)” because it’s about a guy and a girl looking back on their relationship, with the guy sung by Jaret Reddick and the girl sung by Kim Shattuck of The Muffs. They are each saying what they remember of their time together, but it is kind of funny how their perspectives differ:

GIRL: Do you remember the moonlight in my hair?
GUY: I remember pulling your hair
GIRL: I told my friends that it was love
GUY: I told mine you couldn’t get enough!

GIRL: I’ll always remember you
GUY: Always remember you
GIRL: The moon and the stars
GUY: The back of my car
GIRL: That song that was ours
GUY: The back of my car
GUY: The memories are different
GIRL: But we felt the same
BOTH: And I’ll always remember you that way.

I really love the realism in that. Everyone has a different view of how an event happened; nobody has the same memories, even in relationships. It’s kind of funny, because a lot of songs are all about “unity” in love, and thousands of songs say, “I’ll always remember you,” but Bowling For Soup takes it farther with the “That Way.” And it’s equally amusing because guys and girls really do have different perspectives, especially in relationships, and sometimes that’s the very thing that destroys them.

But I have to say, Bowling For Soup have REALLY outdone themselves on their newest single, “No Hablo Ingles.” It has the classic BFS humor and then some—basically the entire premise of the song is the joke that you can get out of any situation by claiming not to speak English. (If you can’t deduce that from the title.) Jaret Reddick and the guys are, as usual, off-handedly hilarious in their tone and use of lyrics, such as, “My teacher asked me where my homework was / And that's when I told her, ‘No hablo Inglés!’ / Policeman caught me doing ninety / And that’s when he pulled me over: ‘No hablo Inglés!’” And the chorus: “To make a getaway / It’s all you’ve gotta say! / (¡Cuatro! ¡Cinco! ¡Seis!) / ‘No hablo Inglés!’”

I really can’t describe all the humor of Jaret’s little spoken asides, though, so I really think you should just buy the single, or wait for Sorry For Partyin’ to come out on October 13th. (I can’t wait!!!) That’s going to be a very good day for me—just as Bowling For Soup intended. Because really, that’s what I love best about them: they just want everyone to be happy, and they make sure it happens with their music. (Just like they say in “Shut Up And Smile,” which by the title is probably a self-explanatory song.)

Happy listening! (Literally.)
Emily Noel

(Post title taken from "Get Happy" by Bowling For Soup. All reprinted lyrics copyright of Bowling For Soup.)

No comments:

Post a Comment