Monday, February 15, 2010

Coheed's New Single + Top 5 (Round 2)

Seriously, I can't handle the amount of new music I've been overloaded with (primarily because I now have a flock of iTunes gift cards with which to buy copious amounts of new music.) But I was SO EXCITED that I even forgot to update about one of the best things ever: Coheed and Cambria's new single, "The Broken."

Did I stay up until midnight to get it on iTunes? Obvs! (Actually, it was released a bit earlier than that, for some reason.) And...I have mixed feelings about it. It's good, but I guess it's just strange for me to accept something new of theirs after loving the other four current studio albums so much. And I hate judging albums on singles, so I'll just have to wait for Year of the Black Rainbow to be released. Besides, I have to keep reminding myself that this 5th album is a prequel to the others, so of course it's going to be different.

Anyway, I guess I'll post the lyrics from last week.

“Pull the Curtain” – Sum 41
“Something's wrong because I find the glamour in the dark side
In the dark side
(Where'd I go wrong?)
Cheap regrets, can't forget,
Falling victim to the debts
Still unpaid in my mind.

The one and only day has come,
I pay for all the bad things I've done.

It's gonna take me, you don't know tragedy
I've been to hell and back again to tell
Close my eyes and lay me down to sleep
I fear the worst, my beating heart ticks to explode
And my time is up so...

(Why can't I just lie?!)

Living dead awake, the horror show begins
So pull the curtains over me
Bring on the panic
The uncontrolled and manic
It's a free for all, kill them all, every last one of them, I don't care.”

---

Well, that’s cheerful, right? But I love this song because of the rage and pain in his voice. It’s really one of the most depressing songs I’ve ever heard; I can instantly get angry about something when I hear it, or if I’m already angry, I feel instantly justified in it.


“Mr. Brightside” – The Killers
“I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta, gotta be down
Because I want it all.
It started out with a kissHow did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss.

Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he’s having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his chest now
He takes off her dress now
Let me go.
And I just can't look, it's killing me
And taking control.

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr. Brightside.”

---
This is definitely in my all-time top-five songs of my entire life. It is probably one of the greatest break-up songs ever, and Brandon Flowers just has a way of making you feel the rejection coursing through every verse. It is super depressing and he sounds so resigned in it that by the end of the song I just end up feeling like rejection is fate.


“The Horror of Our Love” – Ludo
“I wake in terrorBlackbirds screaming
Dark cathedrals spilling
Midnight on their alters
I'm your servant
My immortal
Pale and perfect
Such unholy heaving
The statues close their eyes
The room is changing
Break my skin and drain me

Ancient language,
Speak through fingers
The awful edges
Where you end and I begin
Inside your mouth, I cannot see
There's catastrophe in everything I'm touching
As I sweat and crush you
And I hold your beating chambers
Until they beat no more
You die like angels sing.

Oh, the horror of our love
Never so much blood pulled through my veins
Oh, the horror of our love
Never so much blood.”

---
This is actually a really beautiful, haunting song to me, and I can never get over the imagery. I can just picture the darkness and lust taking over from the way he describes it.



“Sometime Around Midnight” – The Airborne Toxic Event
“As you stand...
Under the bar lights
And the band plays some song about forgetting yourself for a while
And the piano's this melancholy sound check to her smile
And that white dress she's wearing,
You haven't seen her for a while.

But you know...
That she's watching.
She's laughing, she's turning
She's holding her tonic like a crux.
The room suddenly spinning,
She walks up and asks how you are
So you can smell her perfume
You can see her lying naked in your arms

And so there's a change...
In your emotions.
And all of these memories come rushing
Like feral waves to your mind
Of the curl of your bodies,
Like two perfect circles, entwined.
And you feel hopeless, and homeless
And lost in the haze of the wine.”

---
This is another really powerfully emotional song, but I also can’t get over the imagery. It just paints such a vivid scene that it feels like I’m watching a film clip of some sort of post-break-up scene in a bar, every time I hear it.


“Higher Power” - Boston
“Let me love you
Take me home to your religion for the night
Let me touch you
Teach me how to see your vision through my eyes
Turn the pages
Tell my story, let me face another day
Safe embraces, I feel it comin' now
My captain's on his way.

Hey, my high power
The world is spinnin', but I'm not afraid
Yeah, give me the power
It's the beginnin', the beginnin' of another day.”

---
This is a really fun, upbeat song in general, but you can still get the message just by reading the lyrics. To me, it’s never really been totally clear if he’s talking about God or a lover, but I like it either way because it still refers to some sort of relationship on a sacred level, and having either one can make you feel invincible.

Happy Monday!
Emily Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment