Thursday, December 3, 2009

Another Music-Filled Month

I don't have a lot of time to post real entries right now because it's coming up to exam week and all, but I have been happily stumbling through waves of new music lately. (And it's only December 3rd!!!) I think I mentioned that I follow Jaret Reddick's podcast now (for those who don't know or remember, he is the lead singer of Bowling For Soup) and I picked up a couple of new good bands from the songs he played. One of these bands (my favorite right now) is The Leftovers, who are on Jaret Reddick's own label (Crappy Records.) And actually they are playing in Brooklyn tonight at South Paw--go look them up if you live in the city! Their hit single is called "Telephone Operator," and it is super catchy and lovable! Their latest album (the best from what I've previewed on iTunes; haven't bought any of their albums yet because I'm broke) is called Eager To Please and I think you should check it out!

You can watch the video of "Telephone Operator" on their website, or just listen to the song on Jaret's podcast.

The other bands Jaret introduces from his label are MC Lars and Skyfox. They're pretty good, too. From Skyfox he played this catchy little pop-rock single called "Run Away" from their EP called Twilight.

At the beginning of this year MC Lars released an album called This Gigantic Robot Kills. From what I've previewed of it, it's pretty funny, but the gem in the mix for me is "Twenty-Three," which is the song Jaret played on the podcast. It's one of the saddest songs I've heard in a long time, but I love it. It's about Pat Wood, a friend and former roommate of MC Lars. Wood committed suicide when he was 23, and so "Twenty-Three" is a tribute to him. I've had it on repeat for a good part of this evening; it's melancholy but I love it because even after 3 years it shows how such tragedies affect us. That kind of pain never goes away, but I'm glad MC Lars took the time to put that experience in a form that can help others who have lost someone that way.

Yeah, so, now that everyone is really bummed...

I also got Bowling For Soup's Merry Flippin' Christmas album (available ONLY by digital download from BFS's merch store) and it's pretty funny. Apparently they have 2 more Christmas albums due to be released fairly soon as well, but we'll see.

Hope you all have a good weekend!
Emily Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment